Thursday, February 3, 2011

Marcus Picks the Oscars - Part I

That time is rapidly approaching once again- The Academy Awards. I, like all of you, have thoughts on what will and what should go down. I (also like most of you) also happen to blog which subjects you to my thoughts on the matter. It isn't going to be pretty-

BEST PICTURE
What Will Win: The Social Network. Don't give in to the hype about The King Speech's resurgence. The Academy is shying away from the traditional in an effort to prove they're as hip as you. It will go to The Social Network, especially since nothing negative has come out of the Social Network's reign.

vs.

What Should Win: Black Swan. What other movie made you feel the things that movie made you feel? It was entertaining AND it was an emotional experience. Which is exactly what a movie should be. It was cathartic. It was chaotic. It was beautiful. It has incredible performances, supporting actresses (yes, that's a dig at the Social Network), an amazing score and cinematography, and costumes to die for (Halloween is already being planned). Above all, it captivated me. It moved me and I am dying to watch it again- unlike any of the other Best Picture Nominees (Kids Are All Right excluded- more on that later). The Best Picture award is collected by the producer, making it the "Best Produced Movie" award. The pieces all came together on this movie like on no other.

BEST DIRECTOR
Who Will Win: David Fincher. Riding the success of his movie, Fincher will walk away with the gold. He delivered a tense, captivating movie about computers. He did not, however, deliver any performances that will walk away with a prize. I think the Academy also feels like they owe him (for Benjamin Button, although god knows why. I feel like Fincher owes ME for that movie).

vs.

Who Should Win: Darren Aronofsky. Black Swan was his vision executed to perfection. I will be the first to admit that the script to Black Swan is not very good. (But what? Didn't I just say it should win Best Picture? Yes. Yes I did. It's my blog. Let me be.) Aronofsky mines gold out of it. Without him, this movie would be nothing. His directorial efforts stretched beyond camera angle and performance. He put faith in his actors, which helped pull out the performances he got. From the visuals to the score, everything was so fittingly "Aronofsky"that this movie couldn't be anything other than a directorial masterpiece. I mean shit... look at how he made you FEEL.

BEST ACTOR


Who Will and Should Win: Colin Firth. Way to go Firth. You made me feel for someone who sounds like a bumbling idiot. The frustration was all too real (and this was that you controlled the stutter!) To have such a mastery over your own voice to do that is enough to take the prize, but why would Firth stop there? His relationships with Rush and Carter are passionate and understandable. He stepped into Bertie and never looked back. Plus he's "owed" for A Single Man.

BEST ACTRESS
Who Will Win: Natalie Portman. Before I go on- this is THE best category this year. Now back to Portman- she did an amazing job and I will be completely happy when she takes the stage of the Kodak. She became a ballerina and her control of her emotions (both while dancing and while speaking) is incredible. She may never top this performance. It wasn't until she took on the black swan that I realize dhow phenomenally she acted the white swan. Amazing.

vs.

Who Should Win: Michelle Williams. What? You expected me to say Annette Bening? Hell, I expected me to say Bening - but at the end of the day we need to be honest and she was not the best actress this year. She was good, but not great. And as much as I love her and that movie, she's going to have to wait because Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine DESTROYED me. Two words for you - SPOILER: Abortion (1). Scene (2). She was hardly acting; she was being.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SERIOUSLY, SCREW YOU AND YOUR SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!! FACK

Unknown said...

P.S. I don't know anyone more uncompromising and unapologetic when it comes to Oscar picks. You are sometime so crazy but you back that ish up- that I support