Friday, July 3, 2009

Pancake Post

My life has been monopolized by the movie making industry lately, (a blog on RKO will come soon) but I was lucky enough to get today off... given the whole "nation's independence thing." At first thought I was going to sleep in and do nothing, but why waste the day?

I've started this day off right, with a trip to the BEST pancake (and waffle, and french toast) restaurant ever: The Griddle Cafe.


What makes this cafe so excellent, you ask? Two things.

Size. and Flavors.

Size doesn't matter, you say? Nonsense! When it comes to food, especially breakfast, I want as much as I can get my grubby little hands on. The size of these pancakes is amazing. They're bigger than the plate. They're bigger than my head. I dare you to finish them in one sitting. Hell, I dare you to finish HALF of them in one sitting.


More flavors of pancakes than you ever thought imaginable. Somewhere, a very brilliant young man (or woman) thought, "why limit ourselves to plain pancakes? or just chocolate chip, or just blueberry. "

And thus, this pancake menu was born.
Some favorites:
Banana Nana - Brown Sugar Baked Bananas in Buttermilk Batter (Delicious!)
Hear Me Roar - Frosted Flakes and Strawberry Hotcakes (Breakfast Cereal IN A PANCAKE!)
Teacher's Pet - is filled with Cinnamon and Baked Apples (Today's Treat)
Black Magic - Oreo pancakes

and the best

Eyes Wide Shut - Espresso AND Chocolate Chips AND Powdered Sugar. (TO DIE FOR)


You'll wait for at least 30 minutes no matter what time you get there on a weekend morning, parties of 5 or more - expect to be looking at an hour. And I'd wait everytime.

A quick shout out for Coffee! In addition to delicious griddle items, the coffee at The Griddle Cafe is amazing. I'd never order pancakes without it.

You get your own individual French Press and the coffee is strong, abundant and wonderful.

Griddle Cafe, I'll be back.


No comments: