Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Interning

Who ever developed the concept of the 'internship' was a genius. Think about it. Eager, young, fresh faced kids who want to make something of themselves. They'll (or really, I should say 'We'll') do anything you ask. Pot of coffee? Done. Bind a script? Done. Answer the phone? Paint the office? Drive to Glendale? Done. Done. Done.

Help you sell your apartment? Find you movers? Suck your *%$#. Done. Done. WAIT A MINUTE.

Interning is an interesting experience, to say the least. I've lucked out. RKO is one of the best places for me to end up. I haven't had to paint any offices, make any coffee or suck any *%$#. (I'll stop now, I promise)

Upon coming to RKO I was told that I shouldn't expect to do too much creatively, after all- there are people that are paid to do that. I was told that I shouldn't come in expecting to 'you know, produce a movie' or anything. Then why, please answer me, was I called Marcus the Producer the other day? It's a title I wouldn't mind.

In the short month I've been there (5 days a week, 9-6... or 6:30... or 7... or today, 8.) I've gotten to do more things for this company than most get to do in their first years working.

I am essentially an assistant to the business and legal affairs executive. I've created a locations menu, twitter account (1,000 followers today!) and DP, Actor, Line Producer and Production Designer lists for Lady Scarface and I've gotten the chance to voice my opinion about a countless number of projects.

Don't get me wrong. I still occasionally get coffee, make copies and the likes - but for the most part I'd like to consider myself a few steps ahead in this game.

My boss jokingly mentioned not going back to school and staying at RKO. How fitting, that my love of old Hollywood would find me potentially starting my career with the company that started film careers.

RKO pictures, please hire me.

2 comments:

Julie Boyd said...

How exciting! I'm glad you are enjoying you internship. Can't wait to hear more about it in person!

Anonymous said...

Your blog makes me realize how much I not only miss you guys, but how much I miss doing stuff like that. I've had no breathing room or money for so long now, I've forgotten that life is fun. Thanks for rekindling my spontaneous spirit Mkaye, brahhhhh (and I know you know I didn't sqwak that like a Glamis girl bro ho. Don't forget to put Mrs. Potts in your movies - it is she, Amy B.