Monday, January 11, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Awards season is rolling around and I have some thoughts.... (oh, yeah.... and thanks to Lauren Johnson - I'm back [again].)



Best Picture: This ones tough. Even tougher is picking out the nominees. There are so many different directions this can go. There are some givens - Up in the Air, Inglourious Basterds, Up, Hurt Locker (which I still REALLY need to see). Hopefully, An Education makes the nominee list. It would never win, but deserves the recognition. Lesley and I were messes throughout that little picture.

What Should Win: Inglourious Basterds - I can't think of a single thing wrong with it, except maybe... nope. Actually. I've got NOTHING.
What Will Win: Up in the Air - It's just too topical to not win. It came out at the right time. Granted, most Academy members don't know what it's like to be unemployed right now... but that's another story entirely.

Best Director: The home of your real best picture. Now that there are 10 best pictures, the 5 with director nominations will be your true contenders. I think Pete Docter will slide in here for Up. Lee Daniels. Quentin. Kathyrn Bigelow and Jason Reitman. That's right James Cameron... I think theres only room for one animated director and it's Pete Docter.

Who Should Win: Kathyrn Bigelow. Give it to her! Break the barrier. If any female director deserves it - it's her. Slap James Cameron in the face. Do it.
Who Will Win: Jason Reitman. He was able to get great performances (minus Anna Kendrick) out of not only his actors, but also REAL people. That touch is the icing on his directorial cake.

Best Actor: Its been kind of a so-so year for leading men, even more so for leading women. More on that later. Also, I haven't seen a good number of these pictures (mainly because the main actor seems to be the only thing going for a lot of them.)

Who Should Win: I've heard nothing but great things about Jeremy Renner's performance in Hurt Locker. I've also heard Colin Firth is unstoppable in A Single Man. That being said - he'll never win. An actor playing a gay man won LAST YEAR.
Who Will Win: Jeff Bridges - He is always great and in a story that seems like a country version of last year's "The Wrestler," the academy might award Mickey Rourke through Jeff Bridges. I'd consider Jeff Bridges more deserving, anyways.

Best Actress: Don't make me choose! I can tell you who it won't be. It won't be Sandra Bullock (but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE nominate her. She deserves it for her completely different style of comedy exhibited in The Blind Side.) It won't be Gabby Sidibe. Don't get me wrong, she was great. But if were going to pick a breakout star of the year it's going to be -

Who Should Win: Carey Mulligan. Lesley and I were on the edge of our seats watching her in a drama. A drama! She had us right in the palm of her hands.
Who Will Win: Meryl Streep. I love her, and she was spot on as Julia Child. She hasn't won in years and in a year of weaker performances- this might be the time to award her again.

Best Supporting Actress:
This is always one of my favorite categories. Sorry Lauren, I absolutely hated Anna Kendrick. I thought she was annoying. Not worth my time, or this award. If I was to give it to someone in Up in the Air - it would be Vera Farmiga- because in addition to tricking George Clooney and Anna Kendrick... she was able to trick me. I'd also love to see Melanie Laurent nominated for Inglourious Basterds. Not sure if she'll make that cut though.

Who Should and Will Win: Monique. I dare any actor to compete. I literally screamed during Precious because of her. A grown man behind me was bawling because of her. No one else even comes close. If I could giver her 5 Oscars- I would.

Best Supporting Actor: Another case where I haven't seen most of the contenders. I think the Academy will do the "reward a great actor for their years of service" thing with the leads this year - which leaves this category open for an ACTUAL great performance. That of-

Who Should and Will Win: Christopher Waltz for being the snarkiest, most loveable/hateable Nazi I've ever encountered on screen. He oozed sinister charm. I loved it (and it will be a chance for the Academy to recognize the movie - which they'll do in much fewer places than it should)

Best Original Screenplay: This was a great year for original screenplays. Definitely nominated will be Up. It won't win this award either. Don't worry- Best Animated Feature is still yours Pixar.

What Should Win: (500) Days of Summer. I read the script. It's great. The play on time is incredible. The characters, as much as I'd love to credit Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt - are on the page. What Will Win: Inglourious Basterds. Don't get me wrong- I'm 100% okay with this. And since Quinten won't win Picture and won't win Director - they're going to give it to him here.

Best Adapted Screenplay: I usually like to read the source material to accurately judge the quality of the adaptation. That being said- the movie also needs to stand as a movie on it's own. Sorry Lovely Bones.

What Should Win: An Education. It's the perfect little movie.
What Will Win: Precious. The book is tough. The movie is tougher.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Unfortunately, I think you're underestimating Avatar's sway especially now that it's the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time. I'm just praying that this won't be another 1997.

And I agree with you that I'd really rather Anna Kendrick not get nominated I didn't like her character or really her performance. Vera was so much better.

I still haven't seen Hurt Locker either BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD GIVE IT TO A WOMAN ALREADY. Can this be like 2001 but for women instead of black people?