Monday, February 8, 2010

Old Hollywood Called, I Answered


As you all know by now [and if you don't, you stumbled upon my blog in a drunken google search and have found yourself to be a loyal reader ever since, and I thank you] I have been working at RKO Pictures for about a month now. My official title is "executive assistant" which is fancy talk for office bitch.

I can't talk about much because I'm bound and gagged by a confidentiality agreement, and anything else I say of a negative nature could result in the loss of my job. So I'll spare you the frustrations, and talk of long hours. I won't talk about the employee who I want to punch in the face. I'll leave out the tid bit about how another assistant should have been hired by now and hasn't. About how I'm working really fucking hard. I'll forget to mention that assistant is also sounding board for yells.


Instead opting to tell you, I love my job. There's lots of times where it may seem like I don't. Like I can't wait to get out, move on. But at the end of the day, I'm doing something that millions can only dream of: I'm getting paid to make movies.

Sure, I only do very minuscule tasks. Sure I'm not in the credits (yet, baby) but my job, at it's very core - is essential to the final product. Believe me, if they didn't need me, I wouldn't be working here. So there you have it- any time you hear me complain. Any time I get home at 9pm after an eleven hour work day - hand me that friendly reminder. It's all I need.

RKO is doing some pretty exciting things right now, like a movie starring ******* ********* about ***** and another, a romantic comedy called *** *** **** ** *****, starring **** *****.

Sorry, that's the confidentiality agreement talking. But trust me, it's not all bad. I know what you're thinking, RKO hasn't made a movie since.... Citizen Kane, It's A Wonderful Life, King Kong (the original! [RKO sold the rights to King Kong to Universal. We didn't play a part in the remake]).


Well we're back. Ready for our second renaissance. Ready to churn out some new classics.

Everyday I'm greeted by two Oscars and a Citizen Kane "Rosebud" Sled. And while I hated the movie, I've got have respect for what it's done. It's kept us around, and it's brought me on board.

So you're wondering what I do? I assist. Plain and simple.
Coffee. Printing. Copies. Staplers. Cleaning. Packing. Organizing. Phone Calls. Emails. Meeting Scheduling. Reading. Watching. Commenting.

Any script in consideration has to go through me first. I'm the second filter (the interns are the first) which is actually pretty cool. Think of the power. Every movie you see, an assistant read that script. Liked it. Passed it on.

I'm in love with storytelling, so that's the best part of my job. It's what makes the yelling worth it.

That and the paycheck.

So thanks RKO, for walking me into the "real world." In due time, I'll walk away. I'll grow older and end up in a dream job.

But I'll owe it to you.

You hear me dream job? You hear me Focus? Paramount Vantage? HBO? Showtime? I'm coming after you next.

No comments: