Monday, February 1, 2010

Ways To Stay Fit in LA

Yesterday, Mikey and I went to the batting cages in some ghetto part of LA. Nothing gets the aggression I have at my bosses out like hitting something really hard. Much to my surprise- I didn't suck. Soon each ball that came flying at me (please, keep the joke to yourself) went screaming back into the net.


Or bouncing.
Or hit the wall behind me.

But that's besides the point. When the bat and ball connected, suddenly my anger at my boss* all but disappeared.

This morning, however, it all came rushing back. In the form of pain. I am so sore, its unbelievable. So here it is- I'm going to try and get in [better] shape. I'm fat by no means, but that doesn't mean I'm fit. I want to be. So I'm compiling myself, and by default YOU a list of:

WAYS TO STAY FIT IN LA

1) Run. Walk. Jog.


You can't possibly drive down Santa Monica Boulevard in the morning without seeing a wave of runners. Every morning, afternoon, night, you name it - someone is running in LA. With so little in the name of athletic activities in the area, it is the easiest way to get in shape. Throw on your iPod and go. Run places. There's so much to do in LA, and lets be real - no one is going to care if you're gross and sweaty, because honestly, the bum behind you is grosser and sweatier.


I've tried this one. The jogging/running part isn't so much for me. But I do enjoy a walk. I'll take myself over to the La Brea Tar Pits, or down Hollywood Blvd., or to a friend's house. It takes longer- but I've got some good tunes and some great visuals. Doesn't hurt the legs so much either.

2) Bowl.


Go ahead and laugh. It can't hurt though, right?

3) Batting Cages.


The fact that I'm sore is testimony to the fact that this counts as athletic activity. Either that, or it's testimony to the fact that I don't know how to properly swing a bat. Regardless, it was a great way to spend an afternoon and it got out some of my aggression and frustration. It's not going to make my arms huge, but lets be real the only thing that will do that is steroids.

Luckily, its LA and I know just where to get them.

4) Swim.


My favorite when it's not freezing, and luckily, my apartment complex has a pool. I can stay in the pool for hours and it's a great place to think. If your apartment complex doesn't have a pool and you can't steal a friends. Santa Monica is a short drive away and there's an entire ocean to swim in. It's not at as convenient, but it's a chance to do some physical activity (hey! physical activity... there's another type that's not on this list, but for reputation's sake I'll keep it off the list. You know what I'm talking about though.) and get to the beach. Two in one!

5) Hike.


Runyon Canyon. Griffith Park. Done and done. Believe it or not, there is nature in LA, and with that nature comes some great places to hike with great views of the smog. Matt and I have gone up to Runyon a few times and it's really great. My legs scream at me by the end of it, but it's worth it. The views actually are good, and hikers are some of the nicest people you'll meet in LA.

6) Dance.


This usually happens for me when I'm intoxicated which doesn't help me physically. Maybe I'll try doing it sober. It's fun though, and again - couldn't hurt.

5) Tennis.

Mikey has a court next to his house. He and I are going to start playing. This activity only works if you have a friend. Make friends in LA and THEN use tennis as a means of staying fit.

6) Work On a Film Set.


This one is for LA kids! Film sets are hard work. Running around, constantly. Physical activity. If you work on a film set, you will be in better shape by the end of it. Unless you spend all your down time next to craft services.

7) Join a Gym.

Don't do it if you're going to compare yourself to everyone there. Unless you already have an incredible body - you WILL feel insecure walking into any gym in LA. LA is full of actors and models, all of whom won't get on TV unless they're a size 0. It's the best option, and also the most expensive. An expense I can't afford right now. One fateful day I may become a gym rat.


But don't count on it.

Mark my words though - physically fit Marcus begins yesterday.


*Blog Post on my job soon. I promise.

No comments: