Friday, March 19, 2010

Areas I Love: Vermont Avenue

This is a new thing I want to start doing, in addition to my regular blogging/ramblings. Picking a place I like in LA and talking about it.



Vermont Avenue in Los Feliz (which I have been informed, I do not pronounce properly). I first stumbled upon Vermont while back at Chapman. I was thrifting for a movie and stumbled upon a little place called Squaresville in the uber hip neighborhood in Los Feliz.

After being introduced to Squaresville I vowed to make this little neighborhood, full of shops and big trees, book stores and bars my home. When I first started looking at apartments in LA, this is where I went. Ultimately, I didn't end up over here - but I've been visiting it more and fall in love with it every time.


It's everything you could one on one street. It's alive, but not over crowded, every night. The people that hang out on Vermont are the type of people that you look at and think "I could be friends with you."

There are so many restaurants on this street and I've only been to handful. It's a street that you walk down and want to try it all. One day, I might.

Here's a rundown of a few places on Vermont I enjoy:

Squaresville


Squareseville is a little vintage thrift store that is packed from wall to wall with some of the coolest clothes ever to grace the last decade. I would make it my closet if I could.


A little movie theater that shows indie movies that don't usually make it to the big ones, as well as a studio movie or two. I saw Crazy Heart here, and it's charming. Charming, I think, is the word I'd use to describe the entire area.



I went to this bar with Nora and it's exactly the type of place you'd imagine your grandparents drinking in. It's classy and old fashioned with super nice elderly bar tenders who treat you right. Live music every night makes it a relaxing place to chill.



A little diner with the coolest seats around. The booths are like seats out of 50's cars. It's menu is a little scatterbrained. For you Orange County kids, it's like Norm's but not a chain. The burger was amazing and huge (and that's that I ordered The Wimpy Burger [I kid you not, that's what its called!]).



I went here with Jeff and we keep going back. It's a hole in the wall Thai restaurant but it's SO good. The decor is kind of nautical, with fish tank portals on the walls. Reader Beware, if you walk into Pattaya Thai on a night they're doing karaoke TURN AROUND. It's terrible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NO ONE pronounces "Los Feliz" correctly. http://loweyj.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/ways-to-be-cool-in-la-may-2009/