Monday, March 22, 2010

From the Stadium to the Sea

No I didn't run the LA Marathon (for those of you that don't know "From the Stadium to the Sea" was the theme of this year's marathon). But the theme seemed to fit my weekend, as it started in Downtown, moved to the Pier, and ended back around Hollywood. Everything those marathon runners saw, I saw, and I had the added luxury of four wheels and air conditioning.

Saturday morning started with a trip to FIDM with Lesley to see the Oscar nominated costume display. Some were breath taking, some were amazing, some made us a squeal, and some were from Aliens in the Attic.

Lesley and I were like kids in a candy store with the costumes from An Education, Where the Wild Things Are ("Do you know how many hipsters would kill to steal that outfit?"), A Single Man ("They have the furry sweater!"), Inglourious Basterds ("Inglourious Basterds!"), and Julie and Julia ("Meryl wore that!").



This picture was from the exhibit several years ago, but since it's Helen Mirren, and she plays an intricate part in this blog post, I'll allow.



After playing over on Vermont for a bit, Lesley and I went to Santa Monica. She had never been on the pier, so we hit that up first. Kettle Corn! Cotton Candy! Rides! It's like a carnival, but better, because it's on water. Lesley and I joked about the pier being destroyed by a giant wave (as in a Roland Emmerich movie) and low and behold, go kicked off the beach. Not because of our off color jokes, but because a suspicious package was found on the pier. Cops were everywhere. We were instructed to go past the lifeguard tower. Dear lifeguard, if the pier was to explode in a gigantic terrorist attack, I highly doubt being on the OTHER side of your lifeguard tower would make the slightest difference in my chances of survival.

So we went to a British foods store. A logical move right? It is when you're with Palf.

Palf and I parted ways and I was joined by Kristen, Julie and Jeff. A bottle of wine and batch of margaritas later, we hopped into a cab for Bar Lubitsch. After my rave review of it, they had been wanting to try it. We got in and it was PACKED. Have no fear though, we found ourselves a nice pocket of space and proceeded to hang out and drink through the night. Kristen, Julie and nights out (or in!) are a perfect storm. Doesn't matter where we are, doesn't matter that someone in the bar had B.O. (okay, it a little bit did), we have a good time. Saturday was no exception.

We stumbled down Santa Monica to Jones for a post-drinking pizza with Banner. We scarfed a pizza of our own and downed half of Rebecca's. Success? I think so.

Sunday was just as successful, if not COMPLETELY different. Megan came to visit!



Megan, my oldest friend (as in, since 2nd grade, not age 102), is the assistant to journalist Annie Bardach, who is quite possibly THE go-to journalist on all things Cuba. Annie is a member of the Moron Society (a group of free-thinking, intelligent people [journalists, writers, directors, actors, politicians]) who get together to elect morons in society and discuss current events.



On Sunday, there was a Moron Society meeting at Helen Mirren and Taylor Hackford's house. They live around the corner from me! Their neighbor is none other than Roland Emmerich, of aforementioned pier discussion.

Megan and I were honorary Moronettes and handled parking at the Hackford/Mirren estate. Afterwards we were invited to listen in on the meeting, which was incredible. These people are such intelligent speakers.

Mirren, or as Hackford calls her, Helly, was a sweetheart. So nice. She gave me a stack of ham, a bottle of wine and a cheery pie because "I could afford such a thing."



I feel like I should have more to say about this event, but I guess it's all just sinking in. They're wonderful people and it was exciting to be a part of it. Will anything come of it professionally? Probably not - but you never know!

1 comment:

Bec said...

As if that was my pizza.